Continence and Pelvic Health
What conditions do we treat?
Our continence and pelvic health physiotherapists specialize in the management of bladder, bowel and pelvic floor dysfunction in men, women and children. This includes the management of incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse and bladder, bowel and pelvic pain and pain with intercourse.
We also provide physiotherapy services to help manage the discomforts associated with pregnancy and childbirth.
Our care is informed by the latest research, and is under the clinical leadership of Dr Judith Thompson, Specialist Pelvic Health Physiotherapist who is a recognized leader in her field with over 25 years experience.
Let us help you improve your pelvic health!
Services we provide:
- Pelvic floor assessment and rehabilitation programs
- Bladder and bowel continence management
- Management of bladder urgency and difficulty emptying the bladder
- Bed wetting programs
- Management of bladder and bowel problems in children, including toileting difficulties, daytime urinary incontinence, constipation and faecal soiling
- Pelvic organ prolapse management and fitting of support pessaries
- Pre and post operative rehabilitation programs for prostate, gynecological and bladder surgery
- Pain management for sexual and pelvic pain
- Pain management for bladder and urethral pain
- Pain management for vulvodynia and cliterodynia
- Pain management programs for endometriosis
- Pain management for pelvic girdle pain during pregnancy and following childbirth
- Exercise programs for pregnancy and returning to exercise after childbirth
- Pregnancy and postnatal Pilates
- Rectus Abdominus Diastasis or abdominal muscle separation rehabilitation
- Management of mastitis and blocked milk ducts in breastfeeding mothers
Our initial one hour assessment allows us to take a thorough history to assess all the factors that may be contributing to your problem. All assessments are conducted in a private and supportive environment with a Continence and Pelvic health physiotherapist who has undertaken extensive post-graduate training in the area.
In cases where the condition relates to pelvic floor, bladder or bowel or pelvic pain in adults an internal vaginal or rectal examination may be advised to achieve an accurate diagnosis. This will be discussed with you during your appointment.
However if you are NOT comfortable with this we have other methods of assessment such as assessing the pelvic floor using real-time ultrasound. During the real-time ultrasound assessment you do not need to undress.
Please be assured the physiotherapist will always respect your choice of assessment.
Personalised education and management plans
We will help you understand the factors that may be contributing to your problems and take a holistic approach to develop a collaborative management plan with you.
Pelvic floor muscle exercises are one on the most important aspects of managing pelvic health conditions and the physiotherapist will develop a personalised exercise program for you based on a comprehensive assessment.
Hands on treatment
Depending on your individual problem the physiotherapist may offer to do some hands on treatment as part of your management. This is used to improve mobility, reduce muscle tension, ease muscle pain and allow you to return to functional activities.
We will liaise with your referring GP and or specialist to ensure your care in integrated.